Monday

Cooking with Grandma


Recently, I went to my family reunion and met my grandmother Gena for the first time. The two of us spent many hours in the kitchen putting love into home cooked meals. Stirring a cast iron skillet that simmered creamed corn, Gena relayed a memory of another grandchild who wanted to re-heat food in the microwave. She turned from her pile of shredded cabbage, looked me in the eyes and said “Now granddaughter, I do not use the microwave. I don’t know for sure, but it doesn’t seem healthy to me. People use it because they’re lazy and are looking for a quick way round. But me... I don’t use it!” I smiled and said, “Grandma I couldn’t agree with you more.”

Later Gena peeled yams. “Granddaughter, I like to use fresh food. These yams here are fresh. And the corn in that pot is fresh. I don’t like to use frozen and canned food. It’s not healthy food. Nope” shaking her head, “fresh food is best.” I nodded as she continued “And a little fat goes a long way. And a lot of time you can re-use it.” I watched as she used bacon fat from breakfast to flavor a pot of mustard greens. When the greens were done she reserved the cooking liquid and used it to cook our cabbage. “This way you get the flavor from the greens and you don’t have to add fat.”

My Grandmother’s understanding of wellness sprung from her intuition and her belief that food from the earth is the best food for us. She didn’t have to go to culinary school or train to be a nutritionist to understand this. Talking to Gena reminds me that the Green Gourmet philosophy is not a new age idea. In fact, the Green Gourmet message of good food, for good health and a greener planet is as old as the eldest of our ancestors. I hope everyone meets a “grandma” who reminds them of the old ways.

Elizabeth J.E. Johnson

No comments: